The Director of Policy and Government Affairs position presents an opportunity to play a key role in developing and advancing PCNP’s strategy to increase awareness of the profession, develop external marketing and public relation programs to enhance the credibility of the nurse practitioner and to monitor legislative movement that may impact the profession.
Reporting to the PCNP Executive Director and Board of Directors. The candidate will be responsible for monitoring existing and potential future policy developments, as well as establishing and overseeing implementation of strategies to directly influence policy to nurse practitioners working in the Commonwealth. A significant component of the role will involve the formation and execution of legislative and regulatory advocacy strategies to help advance the interests of our members.
Term of position
This position will be a contracted associate for 1,040 hours a year for a one-year term. The contracted amount is set at $50,000 plus approved travel expenses.
1. Review pending state and federal legislation and regulations that would potentially impact nurse practitioners and provide commentary and action plans for consideration by PCNP leadership. Draft responses to pending reulations and legislation that provides provider neutral language and suggest changes/amendments that would sustain the nurse practitioner profession and protect PCNP’s interests.
2. Interact directly with the Lobbying and Media Relations firms contracted with PCNP when working on initiatives such as legislative and regulatory initiatives and policy
3. Establish and maintain relationships with organizations and key people to increase awareness and elevate the need for nurse practitioners.
4. Develop, present concepts to the board and execute strategic and tactical public relations programs that enhance the visibility of nurse practitioners, PCNP members, and PCNP on a local, state, and national level.
5. Develop and monitor key messages in external public relations and marketing programs; maintain consistency of messages to various audiences.
6. Develop and implement, in collaboration with Executive Director and Committee, external marketing and public relations programs that enhance the credibility of nurse practitioners and PCNP.
7. Attend meetings, conventions, and trade shows of related associations, commercial groups and government agencies to monitor activities related to market development, public perception and awareness of nurse practitioners and PCNP, and similar initiatives as approved by the Executive Director/Committee.
8. Develop and maintain workflow and project communication with appropriate committees and other key staff as determined by Executive Director and Board initiatives. The objective is to reduce redundancies within the committee/staff. System and leverage existing knowledge.
9. Provide, external public relations and marketing support for reimbursement and government affairs initiatives.
10. Make recommendations to the Executive Director related to expenses relevant to public relations, marketing, and governmental affairs of PCNP.
11. Represent PCNP at the PA State Board of Nursing meetings, and monitor and attend as necessary meetings of the PA State Board of Medicine and the PA State Board of Osteopathic Medicine.
12. Prepare an annual calendar of events prior to each calendar year and update as necessary.
13. Develop and draft updates to members for PCNP weekly e-communications, bi-annual newsletter and any other publication as requested.
14. Draft and prove periodic presentations to members and other key stakeholders as requested. These may be done as a “Town Hall” meeting via webinar or at the Annual Conference.
15. Formulate written position papers and policy statements for PCNP with input from the Executive Director and PCNP Board of Directors.
16. Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Skills and Experience
1. Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner but not required.
2. Experience in public policy/governmental affairs, grassroots advocacy.
3. Excellent public speaking, presentation and creative writing skills.
4. Flexible with strong organization skills.
5. Ability to travel.
6. Ability to develop positive working relationships.
Submit your information, CV, and Letter of interest below. Any questions regarding the position, please contact the PCNP Office.